In order to substitute teach with The Pima County Joint Technical Education District, applicants are required to abide by the following:
Must be certified to substitute teach in Arizona (either a regular teaching certificate or a substitute certificate). A substitute certificate can be obtained if you have a Bachelor’s degree in any area. If you do not have a Bachelor’s degree, an emergency substitute certificate may be requested by the Superintendent based on the program need.
The Tucson Certification office is located at 400 W. Congress St. Rm. 223 (second floor), and is only open on a limited basis. You may visit the Arizona Department of Education website to view the current office schedule/additional information, or you may call the JTED Human Resources Department at 520.352.5833.
The certificate must be recorded at the Pima County Office of the Superintendent of Schools, located at: 200 N. Stone Ave, Tucson, AZ 85701.
In addition to the above, the following items must be submitted to begin the application process:
- Completed application (may be obtained by contacting Human Resources)
- Valid Arizona IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Proof of immunity to rubeola (measles) and rubella (German measles), or MMR Immunization Verification (required if born after January 1, 1957)
- Negative TB Skin test (within last six months)
- Three signed professional reference letters
Once the above is submitted and reviewed, you will be scheduled to meet with HR and additional documents/information will be required in order to complete the hiring process. (i.e. social security card, driver’s license, or valid U.S. passport, etc.).
Submit the documentation to:
Pima County JTED/Human Resources, 2855 W. Master Pieces Dr., Tucson, AZ 85741
A Substitute Teacher orientation will be provided during the school year.
- Pay for substitute teaching is $85.00 per day.
- Pay for assignments of four hours or less is $45.00
- After 20 consecutive days in the same assignment the rate is $120.00 per day