Term of Employment: Part-time as needed/10 Months/Up to19.5 hours per week/Not benefits eligible
Salary Range: $12.00 per hour
Hours: Monday – Thursday between 1 p.m. – 7 p.m. + some Saturdays for Grooming/Clinic Services
The VA Lab Assistant is a professional who assists in preparing instructions and materials used during laboratory demonstrations and practicum. The VA Lab Assistant must adhere to Pima JTED policies and procedures as well as the prescribed lab dress code while at work.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented.
Preparing Lab for Practicum:
- Assist the instructor in the lab in advance
- Set up any laboratory equipment needed for the lab practicum demonstration rotations
- Ensure the lab is stocked with necessary supplies, monitor lab supply inventory, restocking as needed, and keep instructor informed
VA Assisting in Lab Practicum:
- Work closely with the instructor and students during lab practicum
- Monitor and assist students while in the lab and assist with any questions they may have regarding the clinical skill. May monitor and assist students at clinical sites where certification hours are being obtained.
- The Lab Assistant is required to read all guidelines provided by the instructor prior to the lesson.
Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum Qualifications/Education and/or Experience:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must have one of the following certifications; Veterinary Assistant Certificate from Pima Medical Institute, Carrington College, Pima Community College, or Texas A & M CVA
- Current Pet CPR certification
- Have thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office including word, Excel and Power Point
- Knowledge of ldexx laboratory equipment
- Knowledge of common laboratory equipment used in a veterinary practice
- Knowledge of electronic medical records used in veterinary practice (Avimark/SpecVet)
- Current immunization record, current negative TB test (within the last year)
- Valid IVP fingerprint clearance card or be able to obtain one
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English, medical terminology, excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps and internet use for research purposes
- Knowledge of using a high volume copy machine
Note: Hiring preference for this position will be given to former JTED Veterinary Science students who have successfully obtained CVA certification through Pima JTED Central Campus.
Submit a signed cover letter, resume, three recent (within five years) signed professional reference letters and a copy of current certificate(s) via mail, email, fax or deliver to Martha Martinez at the JTED District office. Applications accepted through January 25, 2019. Open until filled.
Pima JTED • 2855 W. Master Pieces Drive • Tucson, AZ 85741
Phone: (520) 352-5833 • Fax: (520) 352-5842 • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pima JTED #11 is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in relation to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, language of origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or marital status. Unless expressly superseded by controlling federal or state statutes, regulations or court decisions, this policy will prevail in all matters concerning staff members, students, the public, educational programs and services and individuals with whom the Joint Board does business.