Learn fundamental skills in machine shop operations, including CNC operation, positioning and coordinate systems, and finished part inspection. This certificate program incorporates theory and hands-on learning techniques to prepare students for entry-level positions in factories and machine shops.
*Entering 12th grade: students can complete year 1 with JTED and can continue in the college program as a graduate at their own expense. First year 12th grade students are only enrolled if lab space is available.
- Students must complete JTED & PCC Onboarding requirements
- Complete JTED enrollment
- Apply to PCC
- Complete Reading, Writing, Math placement tests
- Placement into GTM105 (Technical Math)
- Attend JTED & PCC New Student Orientation
- Upload and submit college forms (Verification of Lawful Presence, FERPA)
Things to Consider
- Machinists work inside and stand most of the time.
- This work is hands-on, handling controls, tools, and objects.
- Accuracy in calculations is important in this field.
- In this program you are a high school student and a college student. Your performance is reflected on your transcript for your high school and Pima Community College.
- Your grades for this course will impact your college GPA as well as your high school GPA.
- Earn college credit while in the program.
- CNC Machine Operator
- Tool Maker
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Mold & Die Designer
- Machine Designer
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Industrial Machinery Mechanic
JTED @ Pima Community College (Downtown)
1255 North Stone Ave.
Students are expected to be on campus 2 – 4 evenings a week (between 4 – 10 p.m.)*
*Class Times and Locations are subject to change by Pima Community College.
- CAD117 – Print Reading with CAD for Manufacturing
- MAC100 – Intro to Machine Tool
- CAD172 – Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing
- GTM105 – Technical Math for the Trades
- MAC125 – Inspection Quality Assurance
- MAC150 – Computer Numerical Control (CNC) Mill Programming I
- MAC155 – CNC Mill Programming II
- MAC160 – CNC Lathe Programming
Entrance Requirements for Year 2
Successful completion of Year 1
NIMS Measurement and Safety (after successful completion of MAC100)
Work Based Learning Requirement
Students who complete one or more years of the program and meet the eligibility requirements may have the opportunity to participate in our Internship Program.
- Clear safety glasses
Beneficial Classes to Take in High School
- Automation & Robotics