Take the journey into this two year program and prepare for licensure in all aspects of haircare, skincare, and nail care. This program includes industry expectations, including infection control, professional development, and salon management. There is a mandatory online requirement that aligns with the classroom curriculum and is required to take place outside of normal classroom time.
Grade 11 or two years of high school remaining
- Minimum of 10 high school credits (at least two of them in English, completed by May 31, 2023)
- Cosmetology Application
- Attend mandatory orientation in Spring 2023
Things to Consider
- You must have the ability to stand for long periods of time to practice on mannequins and models.
- You must have the willingness to engage all aspects of Cosmetology services: hair, skin, and nails (includes nails on the toes) including as a model for classmates.
- Students perform services in our fully operational salon to classmates and the general public under supervision of a licensed instructor.
- Students maintain the cleanliness of our facilities, requiring sweeping, keeping all surfaces and equipment clean(using disinfectants)and maintaining all laundry generated by the function of our daily use.
- There will be exposure to chemical hair products and disinfectants for sanitation purposes.
- Arizona State Board of Cosmetology requires 1500 hours of training (includes 13 hours of online work per month) to qualify to take the tests for licensure. Attendance is extremely important!
- The extensive time commitment that requires prioritizing the cosmetology program over high school opportunities/events and work.
- You must complete a minimum of 300 hours of training before students can perform services on clients.
- This is not a barber licensure program, students interested only in barbering should not apply.
- Licensed Cosmetologist
- Nail Technician
- Updo Specialist
- Children’s Haircut Specialist
- Makeup Artist
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Hair Color Specialist
- Distributor Sales Consultant
- Lash or Brow Specialist
- Extension Expert
- Salon Manager
- Fashion Week Stylist
- Salon Owner
- Cosmetology Instructor
- Platform Artist
- Brand Educator
JTED @ Camino Seco
8727 E. 22nd St.
- Monday through Thursday 3:40 to 7:40 p.m. and Fridays 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 13 hours of independent online work per month
- Monday through Thursday 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Fridays 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. and 13 hours of independent online work per month
JTED @ Master Pieces
2855 W. Master Pieces Dr.
- Monday through Thursday 3:40 to 7:40 p.m. and Fridays 3:30 to 6 p.m. and 13 hours of independent online work per month
- Monday through Thursday 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. and Fridays 3:30 to 6 p.m. and 13 hours of independent online work per month
I joined the Cosmetology program with JTED knowing nothing about the program or the industry. I was treated with kindness by administration in helping guide me through the process of applying and beginning the program. As a student, I was given many opportunities to practice my skill, on mannequins and real people. During this time I felt very supported by my educators and encouraged to learn and try new things. I walked out of the program confident in my ability to learn and grow in the industry.
Post graduation, I was hired on as an assistant/apprentice by a salon that honed my hair skills. I have now been at this same high end salon for 6 years and have taken on a part of the education of the apprenticeship program.”
Introduction to the practical procedures for all aspects of hair, skin, and nail applications. Introduction into the science of cosmetology, infection control and client consultation.
Advanced application in all aspects of hair, skin and nails within the JTED Cutting Class salon environment. Advanced application in all areas of infection control and salon business, including point of sale and salon booking system. Preparation for industry licensure.
Entrance Requirements for Year 2
Successful completion of Cosmetology Year 1 to include:
- Minimum of 750 hours logged into Arizona State Board of Cosmetology
- Year 1:
- Barbicide Certification
- Year 2:
- OSHA 10 – Cosmetology
- Milady Rise Certification – Client Well Being and Safety
- Arizona State Board of Cosmetology License
- The Arizona State Board of Cosmetology requires a social security card to test for licensure
Work Based Learning Requirements
- Year 1
- Complete a minimum of 300 hours of training before students can perform services on clients
- Year 2
- Students who complete one or more years of the program and meet the eligibility requirements may have the opportunity to participate in our Internship Program.
Betty WaddellCosmetology Instructor
Desiree WibleCosmetology Instructor
Jennifer Al ZaidiCosmetology Instructor
Michele ShoemakerCosmetology Instructor
Scott SutherlandCosmetology Instructor
Suzanne YoungquistCosmetology Instructor
Kathleen AsmanCosmetology Program Manager
- Black JTED Cutting Class scrubs
- Black JTED Cutting Class scrub jacket
- Closed-toe solid black athletic shoes
- JTED Student ID
JTED Academy of Cosmetology
Eastern Arizona College Dual Enrollment Credits Offered:
- Students have the opportunity to earn college credit online in Year 2 with the potential to earn 30 college credits toward an associate in applied science provided you earn your cosmetology license.
*Dual Enrollment Credits available to students are dependent on teacher credentials*
Beneficial Classes to Take in High School
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Business and Entrepreneurship