Gain hands-on experience working as a commercial artist using industry standard Adobe software on Apple computers. Design logos, posters, brochures, and more for real clients in our student-run business, Nex Design. Master screen printing and embroidery. You will meet a wide variety of industry professionals when you attend professional conferences, networking events, and visit local company sites.
Introduction to basics of graphic design, with emphasis on developing software skills in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Students begin developing their portfolio.
Further develop graphic design skills, advancing software skills in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Students continue developing their portfolio and have increased access to hands-on production in our Nex Design studio. Chances to compete/travel as part of the program.
Prepare to use graphic design beyond graduation, further honing software skills in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. Students finalize their portfolio and have full access to hands-on production in our Nex Design studio. Opportunities to represent program at events/visits/competitions.
Opportunity for internship with Nex Design or local industry partner businesses. Students select area(s) in which they want to hone their skills, developing specific expertise areas catered to their own interest with the goal of better preparation for post-secondary education and/or direct employment.
JTED gave me the opportunity to find my passion, which has helped me continue my life after high school with confidence in what I want to do. I am now working as a full time Graphic Designer after getting my BFA and I couldn’t be more grateful that I was able to get a jumpstart in high school!“
Things to Consider
- Being a great traditional artist is not a requirement here. You can succeed as a designer even if your drawing skills aren’t the best.
- Possibilities exist within this field as designers and producers. Many jobs are available in local industries that focus more on hands-on skills making things.
- You must have the ability to spend extended periods of time in front of a computer screen.
- You must have the ability to work independently.
- Strong creativity skills are necessary.
- Graphic Designer
- Embroidery Operator
- Print Technician
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Web Designer
- Freelance Designer
- Special Effects Artist
- Art Director
- Creative Director
- Year 2 or 3: Adobe Certified Associate (Illustrator, Photoshop and/or InDesign)
JTED @ Flowing Wells
3725 North Flowing Wells Rd.
- Monday through Friday per school bell schedule
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4 to 6:30 p.m.
Mike SrsenGraphic Design Instructor
Meet the Teacher Podcast