Learn basic skills in aircraft general mechanics, including common safety practices used when working on and around aircraft and related support equipment, how to identify and use applicable maintenance publications and documents, and knowledge and understanding of Federal Aviation Administration regulations. This program is designed to expose students to aircraft maintenance and will give them the opportunity to continue in the Aviation Technology program for Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification.
JTED helped me find what I was looking for, if you could take it, you could make it. It gives you a good sense of freedom once you accomplish that because you put all that time and effort in and it’s on your own accord that you were able to accomplish this.”
- Students may complete Year 1 with JTED and can continue in the college program as a graduate.
- JTED & PCC onboarding requirements
- Application to PCC (tuition is paid by JTED)
- Attend New Student Orientation for JTED @ PCC students
- Complete Reading, Writing and Math placement tests
- Students must place into REA112 & MAT092 or higher (college level reading & HS Algebra)
Things to Consider
- In this program you are a high school student and a college student. Your performance is reflected on your transcript for your high school and for Pima Community College. Your grades for this course will impact your college GPA.
- JTED pays for the college tuition for this program if not a high school graduate.
- Due to FAA regulations – students in Aviation are only allowed to miss two classes a semester.
- Aircraft Panel Technician
- Aircraft Reclamation
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Aviation Maintenance Technician (A&P Mechanic)
- Aircraft Avionics Technician
- Aircraft Sheet Metal Technician
JTED @ Pima Community College (Aviation Center)
7211 S Park Ave.
- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4:10 to 7 p.m.
General Mechanic Phase:
- Monday through Thursday from 4:10 to 7 p.m.
- AVM100A – Aircraft Maintenance Fundamentals 1
- AVM100B – Aircraft Maintenance Fundamentals 2
- GTM105V – Applied Technical Math for Aviation
- AVM202 – Aviation Safety
- AVM110 – Aircraft Blueprint Reading
- AVM205 – Motion Dynamics
- AVM114 – Regulatory Requirements
- AVM206 – Materials & Processes
- AVM207 – Weight & Balance
- AVM208 – Basic Electricity
Entrance Requirements for Year 2
- Students who have successfully completed year 1 of the program are eligible to enter year 2 and beyond.
- Aircraft General Mechanics Year 1 Students must place into REA 112 & MAT 092 or higher
- Airframe and Powerplant
- Aircraft General Mechanics*
*Only available to students who apply for PCC graduation.
- 1/Year 1
- 2/Year 2 & 3
- Clear safety goggles
- Non-Synthetic clothing
- Examples: Cotton, wool, linen, silk, cashmere, bamboo fiber
- Closed toed shoes
- Aviation shirt – provided by PCC
Beneficial Classes to Take in High School
- Air Transportation
- Automotive Technology
- Automotive Collision Repair
- Precision Manufacturing