Learn basic skills in aircraft general mechanics, including common safety practices used when working on and around aircraft and related support equipment, how to identify and use applicable maintenance publications and documents, and knowledge and understanding of Federal Aviation Administration regulations. This program is designed to expose students to aircraft maintenance and will give them the opportunity to continue in the Aviation Technology program for Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) certification.
*Entering 12th grade: students can complete year 1 with JTED and can continue in the college program as a college student at their own expense. First year 12th grade students are only enrolled if lab space is available.
- Students must complete JTED & PCC Onboarding requirements
- Complete JTED enrollment
- Apply to PCC
- Complete Reading, Writing, Math placement tests
- Placement into GTM105 (Technical Math) & REA 092
- Attend JTED & PCC New Student Orientation
- Upload and submit college forms (Verification of Lawful Presence, FERPA)
Things to Consider
- In this program you are a high school student and a college student. Your performance is reflected on your transcript for your high school and Pima Community College.
- Your grades for this course will impact your college GPA as well as your high school GPA.
- Earn college credit while in the program.
- Aircraft Panel Technician
- Aircraft Reclamation
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Aviation Maintenance Technician (A&P Mechanic)
- Aircraft Avionics Technician
- Aircraft Sheet Metal Technician
JTED @ Pima Community College (Aviation Center)
7211 S Park Ave.
Fundamental Phase (Year 1):
- Tuesdays & Thursdays from 4:10 to 7 p.m.
General Mechanic Phase (Year 2):
- Monday through Thursday from 4:10 to 7 p.m.
JTED helped me find what I was looking for, if you could take it, you could make it. It gives you a good sense of freedom once you accomplish that because you put all that time and effort in and it’s on your own accord that you were able to accomplish this.”
- AVM100A – Aircraft Maintenance Fundamentals 1
- AVM100B – Aircraft Maintenance Fundamentals 2
- GTM105V – Applied Technical Math for Aviation
- AVM202 – Aviation Safety
- AVM110 – Aircraft Blueprint Reading
- AVM205 – Motion Dynamics
- AVM114 – Regulatory Requirements
- AVM206 – Materials & Processes
- AVM207 – Weight & Balance
- AVM208 – Basic Electricity
Entrance Requirements for Year 2
- Students who have successfully completed Year 1 of the program are eligible to enter Year 2 and beyond.
- Aircraft General Mechanics Year 2 students must place into REA 112 & MAT 092 or higher
- Aircraft General Mechanics*
*Only available to students who apply for PCC graduation.
- Year 1:
- 1 credit
- Years 2 & 3:
- 2 credits
- Clear safety goggles
- JTED Student IDs
- Non-synthetic clothing
- examples: cotton, wool, linen, silk, cashmere, bamboo fiber
- Closed-toe shoes
- Aviation shirt (provided by PCC)
Beneficial Classes to Take in High School
- Air Transportation
- Automotive Technology
- Automotive Collision Repair
- Precision Manufacturing