Explore the field of Veterinary Science and learn to provide patient management, care, and clinical procedures assistance to companion animals as part of our Class Pet veterinary clinic team. Expand your knowledge of species and animal welfare through off site clinicals and field trips.
- Beginning Veterinary Science Application
- Sports Medicine, HCF or Anatomy & Physiology concurrently are strongly recommended
Things to Consider
- You must have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
- You must have the ability to stand for long periods of time.
- You must have no known allergies to animals or your allergies to animals are managed.
- Strong communication skills and compassion for pet owners are essential.
- You must have the ability to complete medical tasks like using needles and syringes.
- You must have the ability to safely handle urine, feces, saliva, blood, and other body fluids.
- Veterinary Assistant
- Kennel Assistant
- Pet Sitter
- Grooming Assistant
Jobs Available After Additional or Advanced Training
- Veterinary Technician
- Animal Control Officer
- Pet Groomer
- Veterinary Technician Specialist
- Zoo Keeper
JTED @ Amphi Land Lab
450 E. Wetmore Rd.
- Mondays & Wednesdays 2:15 to 4:45 p.m. and one Saturday per month
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:15 to 4:45 p.m. and one Saturday per month
- Mondays & Wednesdays 5 to 7:30 p.m. and one Saturday per month
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 5 to 7:30 p.m. and one Saturday per month
Year 2 (earn two credits per year):
- Mondays & Wednesdays 2 to 6 p.m. and one Saturday per month
- Tuesdays & Thursdays 2 to 6 p.m. and one Saturday per month
Animal Behavior & Handling, Client Communication, Hospital Safety, Medical Records, Animal Care Careers, Anatomy & Physiology, Animal Breeds, Class Pet Clinic Hours minimum 24 hours
Advanced Client Communication & Reception, Laboratory Procedures, Pharmacy, Radiology, Surgery, experience in the Class Pet Medical Clinic, Off Site Clinicals, and Off Site Internship
Entrance Requirements for Year 2
Successful completion of Beginning Veterinary Science. To include:
- Successful completion of OSHA-10 for Healthcare – Career Safe
- Attendance: Absent no more than 16 hours per semester
- Class Pet Clinic Hours: minimum 24 hours
- Year 1:
- OSHA-10 for General Industry (Veterinary)
- Pet CPR
- First Aid Training
- Fear Free
- Year 2
- Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA) Certificate
*Certifications available to students are dependent on teacher credentials*
Work Based Learning Requirements
- Minimum of 100 clinical hours facilitated by JTED
- Minimum 40 hour internship off site
- Year 1:
- 1 credit
- Year 2:
- 2 credits
- Joanna Grijalva, CVT
- Audra Kelley, CVT
- Brenna Simpson, CVT
Joanna Grijalva, CVT
- Water resistant watch
- Black or white athletic shoes
- Stethoscope (Year 2)
- Black JTED scrubs
- Black JTED scrub jacket
A JTED Vet Clinic
Beneficial Classes to Take in High School
- Algebra II
- Anatomy & Physiology